Thursday, February 7, 2013

About Me.

Hey! My name is Zac Lawrence and I’m 21 years old. I’m a discus and shot put thrower at the University of Rhode Island. Long before I ever picked up a discus, I had been picking up barbells.  Since the age of 11 my father has owned a gym in the town I grew up in. As I grew in age, the gym grew in size. So most people would call me a “gym rat” but I like to call myself a “gym brat”. What ever you want to call me I have been around the lifting game almost all of my life.
For me being an athlete, there is one style of lifting that cannot be beaten in producing strength, explosive power, and athleticism and that ladies and gentleman, is the Olympic lifting! The Olympic lifts are two completely different movements that start with a barbell on the ground and end with the barbell directly over your head. These to lifts are called the clean & jerk and the snatch, The reason why am I interested in this topic so much is that as discus thrower there is nothing more important then Olympic lifting in our workouts to make a better thrower. My teammates and myself always find our selves talking about the latest and greatest things to come out of the world of Olympic lifting but never derive our facts from one place in particular.
The Olympic lifting community is an extremely small in comparison to the much lager fitness community. For most, the only times they see these lifts is once every four years at the summer Olympics or even at all. What I wish to accomplish by creating the Hook Grip’d blog is that it allows other interested lifters, a lot like myself to read and keep current in the world of Olympic lifting.  As I continue to learn more and more about these extremely technical lifts I will share them with my readers in hopes they too can reap the benefits of Olympic lifting. Welcome to Hook Grip’d!

Photo courtesy of Columbusweightlifting.org

3 comments:

  1. I like that a brief background of your interest in weight lifting was included in the about me section. This will appeal to readers, and allow them to feel like they know you on a more personal level. The about me gives a very clear description of who you are not only with the text, but also by including an image.
    The description of the blog is very straightforward, stating exactly what posts you can expect to see on the blog in the future. I like that you included the blog is for those who are veteran weightlifters and those who would like to become more involved. I think this is an excellent beginning to the blog and is sure to grab the readers attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you had a very thorough first blog post and about me. Your about me assures your readers that you are a reliable source and know what you are talking about. Your first post was very detailed and easy to read, I like how you included a picture and video in your blog as well. Your description grabs the readers attention at first and then gets right to the point. I think that you successfully completed all three of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zac you did a great job in explaining to your readers why you are writing your blog. Your blog is about lifting weights and you seem very passionate about it.You explain your past and present about being able to lift weight and you gave a very clear understanding of who you are!

    Your blog description also did a very good job at explaining what your blog was all about. You did it in a witty way that really got the reader’s attention. It was short and to the point that anyone would clearly be able to understand what he was going to talk about.

    Your post presents an interesting “jumping off point”. It surely shows what you are going to talk about. You talk about two different types of lifts the snatch and the power clean and even includes videos, which I thought was really cool and a very good idea. I am a person that learns through visuals and if I was a weight lifter that would be the thing that really help me.

    ReplyDelete